2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 605. Local government property insurance fund.
605.24 Recovery of losses from other parties.

Universal Citation: WI Stat § 605.24 (2017)

605.24 Recovery of losses from other parties.

(1)Suit by attorney general. Upon the request of the manager, the attorney general may proceed in the courts of any jurisdiction to recover from any responsible party other than an insured or any person using or dealing with the property in the course of the person's employment for the insured, for any loss or damage to any property covered by insurance under this chapter. Any recovery less expenses shall be paid into the property fund, but if the amount recovered less expenses exceeds that paid out by the fund, the difference shall be paid to the insured.

(2)Collection of reinsurance. The manager shall collect reinsurance due and pay the amount collected into the property fund.

(3)Right over against 3rd persons. The property fund may name other persons as additional persons protected under s. 605.02, but unless it does so the fund shall have any right of recovery by subrogation or otherwise against such persons that a private insurer would have and shall not lose such right because the governmental unit protected has after commencement of the coverage waived any right of recovery it would otherwise have had, or has thereafter contracted to assume the risk that general law would have placed elsewhere.

History: 1973 c. 117; 1979 c. 102 s. 236 (15); 2005 a. 253.

There is nothing in either chs. 604 or 605, or anywhere else, that prohibits the Fund from voluntarily contracting away sub. (3) protection. Wisconsin State Local Government Property Insurance Fund v. Thomas A. Mason Company, 2008 WI App 49, 308 Wis. 2d 512, 748 N.W.2d 476, 07-1112.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Wisconsin may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.