2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 302. Prisons; state, county and municipal.
302.18 Transfers of inmates.

Universal Citation: WI Stat § 302.18 (2017)

302.18 Transfers of inmates.

(1) Inmates of a prison may be transferred and retransferred to another prison by the department.

(1m) Inmates transferred to the Wisconsin resource center shall be afforded a transfer hearing under s. 302.055.

(2) Inmates of a county house of correction may be transferred to a state prison. If any county discontinues its house of correction, inmates at the time of the discontinuance may be transferred to the state prison or to the county jail of the county as the commitment indicates.

(3) A prisoner may request the department to transfer him or her to a prison in another state under s. 302.25.

(4) With each person transferred to a state prison from another institution, the warden or superintendent of such other institution shall transmit the original commitment and the institutional record pertaining to such person.

(5) Any person who is legally transferred by the department to a penal institution shall be subject to the same statutes, regulations and discipline as if the person had been originally sentenced to that institution, but the transfer shall not change the term of sentence.

(6) Inmates may be transferred under ss. 302.45 and 973.035.

(7) Except as provided in s. 973.013 (3m), the department shall keep a person under 15 years of age who has been sentenced to the Wisconsin state prisons in a juvenile correctional facility or a secured residential care center for children and youth, but the department may transfer that person to an adult correctional institution after the person attains 15 years of age. The department may not transfer any person under 18 years of age to the correctional institution authorized in s. 301.16 (1n).

History: 1981 c. 20; 1983 a. 332; 1987 a. 27; 1989 a. 31 s. 1636; Stats. 1989 s. 302.18; 1991 a. 39, 316; 1993 a. 89; 1995 a. 27, 77; 2001 a. 16; 2005 a. 344.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Wisconsin may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.