2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 25. Trust funds and their management.
25.75 Lottery fund.
25.75 Lottery fund.
(1) Definitions. In this section:
(b) “Gross lottery revenues" means gross revenues from the sale of lottery tickets and lottery shares under ch. 565 and revenues from the imposition of fees, if any, under s. 565.10 (8) and includes compensation, including bonuses, if any, paid to retailers under s. 565.10 (14), regardless of whether the compensation is deducted by the retailer prior to transmitting lottery ticket and lottery share revenues to the commission.
(c) “Lottery proceeds" means the remainder of the gross lottery revenues after deducting all of the following:
2. Amounts for prizes.
3. Amounts for other expenses, including compensation paid to retailers under s. 565.10 (14) and amounts paid to vendors for on-line services and supplies provided by the vendors under contract under s. 565.25 (2) (a).
(2) Creation. There is created a separate nonlapsible trust fund known as the lottery fund, to consist of gross lottery revenues received by the department of revenue and moneys transferred to the lottery fund under ss. 20.435 (5) (kg), 20.455 (2) (g), and 20.505 (8) (am), (g), and (jm).
(3) Distribution of gross lottery revenues. The distribution of the gross lottery revenues in the fund shall be subject to all of the following:
(a) Prizes. An amount equal to at least 50 percent of each year's revenues from the sale of lottery tickets and lottery shares shall be returned as prizes to the holders of winning lottery tickets or lottery shares sold during that year.
(b) Expenses. No more than an amount equal to 10 percent of gross lottery revenues for each year may be expended to pay the expenses for the operation and administration of the lottery, except that expenses for the operation and administration of the lottery may exceed 10 percent of gross lottery revenues if so approved by the joint committee on finance under s. 13.10. In computing expenses subject to the 10 percent limitation under this paragraph:
1. Compensation paid to retailers under s. 565.10 (14) shall not be included.
2. Capital expenditures may be amortized.
3. Payments to vendors for on-line services and supplies provided by the vendors under contract under s. 565.25 (2) (a) shall be included.
4. Moneys appropriated from the lottery fund under s. 20.455 (2) (r) shall not be included.
(e) From the appropriation under s. 20.566 (2) (r), lottery proceeds shall be used to offset department of revenue expenses in administering the lottery credit.