2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 202. Regulation of professional employer organizations and the solicitation of funds for a charitable purpose.
202.21 Definitions. In this subchapter:
(1) “Applicant" means a professional employer organization or a professional employer group that applies for initial or renewal registration under s. 202.22.
(2) “Client" means any person that enters into a written contract with a professional employer organization or a professional employer group for the provision of the nontemporary, ongoing workforce of the person.
(3) “Controlling person" means any of the following:
(a) A person who, individually or acting in concert with one or more other persons, owns or controls, directly or indirectly, 25 percent or more of the ownership interest of an applicant or registrant.
(b) A person who serves as president or chief executive officer of an applicant or registrant or who otherwise has the authority to act as the senior executive officer of an applicant or registrant.
(3m) “Department" means the department of financial institutions.
(4) “Professional employer group" means 2 or more professional employer organizations that are controlled by the same person.
(5) “Professional employer organization" means a person that is engaged in the business of entering into written contracts for the provision of the nontemporary, ongoing employee workforce of a client and providing services under those contracts and that under those contracts has the obligation to pay the employees providing services for those clients from its own accounts, regardless of whether the person uses the term “professional employer organization," “PEO," “staff leasing company," “registered staff leasing company," “employee leasing company," or “administrative employer," or uses any other name, as part of the person's business name or to describe the person's business. “Professional employer organization" does not mean a temporary help agency, as defined in s. 102.01 (2) (f), or a temporary help company, as defined in s. 108.02 (24m).
(6) “Registrant" means a professional employer organization or a professional employer group that is registered under s. 202.22.