2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 178. Uniform partnership law.
178.1145 Effect of conversion.
178.1145 Effect of conversion.
(1) When a conversion becomes effective, all of the following apply:
(a) The converting entity continues its existence in the form of the converted entity and is the same entity that existed before the conversion, except that the converting entity is no longer subject to the governing law that applied prior to the conversion and is subject to the governing law of the converted entity.
1. Except as provided in this paragraph, no interest holder shall have interest holder liability with respect to the converting or converted entity.
2. If, under the governing law of the converting entity, one or more of the interest holders thereof had interest holder liability prior to the conversion with respect to the converting entity, such interest holder or holders shall continue to have such liability and any associated contribution and other rights to the extent provided in such governing law with respect to the debts, obligations, and other liabilities of the converting entity that accrued during the period or periods in which such interest holder or holders had such interest holder liability.
3. If, under the governing law of the converted entity, one or more of the interest holders thereof will have interest holder liability after the conversion with respect to the converted entity, such interest holder or holders will have such liability and any associated contribution and other rights to the extent provided in such governing law with respect to the debts, obligations, and other liabilities of the converted entity that accrue after the conversion.
4. This paragraph does not affect liability under any taxation laws.
(b) The title to all property owned by the converting entity is vested in the converted entity without transfer, reversion, or impairment.
(c) The converted entity has all debts, obligations, and other liabilities of the converting entity.
(d) A civil, criminal, or administrative proceeding pending by or against the converting entity may be continued as if the conversion did not occur, or the converted entity may be substituted in the proceeding for the converting entity.
(e) The organizational documents of the converted entity are as provided in the plan of conversion and, to the extent such organizational documents are to be reflected in a public record, as provided in the articles of conversion.
(f) The interests of the converting entity that are to be converted into interests, securities, or obligations of the surviving entity, rights to acquire such interests or securities, money, other property, or any combination of the foregoing, are converted as provided in the plan of conversion, and the former interest holders of the converting entity are entitled only to the rights provided in the plan of conversion or to their rights, if any, under ss. 178.1161, 179.77, 180.0301 to 180.1331, or otherwise under the governing law of the converting entity. All other terms and conditions of the conversion also take effect.
(g) Except as prohibited by other law or as otherwise provided in the articles and plan of conversion, all of the rights, privileges, immunities, powers, and purposes of the converting entity vest in the converted entity.
(h) Except as otherwise provided in the articles and plan of conversion, if the converting entity is a partnership, limited liability company, or other entity subject to dissolution under its governing law, the conversion does not dissolve the converting entity for the purposes of its governing law.
(a) When a conversion takes effect, the department is the agent of any foreign converted entity for service of process in a proceeding to enforce any obligation or the rights of dissenting shareholders or other interest holders of any domestic converting entity.
(b) When a conversion takes effect, any foreign converted entity shall promptly pay to the dissenting or dissociating interest holders of any domestic converting entity the amount, if any, to which they are entitled under s. 178.1161 or ss.180.1301 to 180.1331 or the corresponding provisions of the entity's other governing law.