2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 14. Constitutional offices and interstate bodies.
14.85 Mississippi River parkway commission.
14.85 Mississippi River parkway commission.
(1) There is created a Mississippi River parkway commission consisting of the following members:
(a) One member from each of the counties of Buffalo, Crawford, Grant, La Crosse, Pepin, Pierce, Trempealeau and Vernon.
(b) Two senators and 2 representatives to the assembly. The 2 major political parties shall be represented in the membership from each house.
(2) The secretary of tourism, the secretary of natural resources, the secretary of transportation, and the director of the historical society, or their designees, shall serve as nonvoting members of the commission.
(3) Each member under sub. (1) shall be appointed by the governor for a 4-year term. Any vacancy shall be filled for the balance of the unexpired term by the governor as soon as practicable.
(4) The commission shall elect its own chairperson and officers other than a chairperson from among its members as its work requires. The commission chairperson shall:
(a) Be the sole voting representative of this state at meetings of the national Mississippi River parkway commission.
(b) Report to the commission on the activities of the national Mississippi River parkway commission.
(c) Serve as commission secretary, designate a member of the commission to serve as commission secretary or require an election by the commission of a commission secretary.
(d) Notify the members of meetings of the commission and keep a record of its proceedings, or delegate these responsibilities to the commission secretary.
(5) The commission shall:
(a) Assist in coordinating the development and preservation of the Great River Road in Wisconsin and its embellishments, such as scenic easements, roadside parks and scenic overlooks.
(b) Assist other state agencies in all efforts to create a unified development of the Great River Road in Wisconsin and any of its collateral features.
(c) Cooperate with similar committees or commissions in other states and Canadian provinces in the furtherance of the ultimate development of the Great River Road from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico.
(d) Consult with the appropriate regional planning commissions regarding the Mississippi River parkway.
(e) Assist in promoting as an attractive travel destination the Great River Road in Wisconsin and the unique historical, cultural, aesthetic and recreational features along the route of the Great River Road, such as local communities, off-road parks and forests, and water-oriented facilities.
(6) The commission shall meet quarterly and may meet at other times on the call of the chairperson.
(7) The departments and agencies of this state shall, within existing appropriations and to the best of their respective abilities, cooperate with the commission in the execution of its functions.
(a) The annual membership dues for the commission shall be paid from the appropriation under s. 20.395 (4) (aq).
(b) The members of the commission shall serve without compensation but, except as provided in par. (c), shall be reimbursed from the appropriation under s. 20.395 (4) (aq) for 75 percent of actual and necessary expenses incurred in performing their duties under guidelines for reimbursement established by the department of transportation.
(c) The chairperson of the commission shall be reimbursed from the appropriation under s. 20.395 (4) (aq) for all actual and necessary expenses incurred in performing his or her duties under guidelines for reimbursement established by the department of transportation.
(d) If the department of tourism determines that a program recommended by the commission to undertake activities relating to the promotion of tourism is consistent with the department's statewide tourism marketing plans, priorities, and resources, the department shall have primary responsibility to support the activities of the program.
(9) The commission may establish a technical committee to advise the commission. The members of the committee shall include at least one employee each from the department of transportation and the department of tourism. The commission shall request the department of transportation and the department of tourism to designate employees to serve on the committee and may request any other state agency to designate an employee to serve on the committee.
(10) Unless specifically provided otherwise by the commission with respect to committees or other similar bodies, a majority of the voting members constitute a quorum to do business.