2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 136. Future service plans.
136.01 Definitions. In this chapter:
(1) “Contractor" means a person who offers for profit a future service contract to a prospective customer, or who enters into a future service contract with a customer, except a cooperative organized under ch. 185 or 193. Such person includes, but is not limited to, an individual, partnership, limited liability company, unincorporated association, or corporation. A “contractor" includes, but is not limited to, buyers clubs, guilds, plans and guides.
(2) “Customer" means an individual who enters into a future service contract. A “prospective customer" means one who is solicited to enter into a future service contract.
(3) “Customer fee" means all money received or contracted for by the contractor from a customer, which is payment for the right to make future purchases of goods and services incidental thereto or to engage in future videotape rental. A payment for purchase of goods or services or for videotape rental which is inflated above the fair market value for the goods or services or videotape is deemed a customer fee in the amount that it is so inflated. A combination payment for the right to make future purchases or engage in future videotape rentals and for specific goods or services or videotapes is deemed a customer fee in the amount that it exceeds the fair market value for the goods or services or videotapes.
(4) “Earned customer fee" means the proportional share of a total customer fee attributable to the months which have elapsed on a future service contract. Such fee is calculated by taking the total customer fee paid or to be paid to entitle the customer to participate in the future service contract, dividing by the total number of months in the contract period, and multiplying by the number of months which have run on the contract. A month is considered to have elapsed on a contract if the 15th day of that month has passed.
(5) “Future service contract" means a contract represented to a customer and offered by any contractor with the primary purpose of providing customers with the right to purchase goods and services incidental thereto or to rent videotapes in the future through such contract, in return for the payment of a customer fee.
(6) “Goods" has the meaning designated in s. 402.105, except that it does not include the unborn young of animals, growing crops and other identified things attached to realty as described in s. 402.107 on goods to be severed from realty.
(7) “Prepayment" means any payment or accumulation of payments over $25 for future service contract rights, or customer fees paid before the rights accrue or the customer fee is earned. It is not a prepayment if a payment for service or goods purchased or videotape rented is made on the same day as the service or goods or the videotape is received.
(8) “Unearned customer fee" means that portion of the fee which is not earned as defined in sub. (4).
(9) “Videotape" means an audiovisual recording of a motion picture or television program for playing through a television set.