2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 126. Agricultural producer security.
126.87 Court actions.

Universal Citation: WI Stat § 126.87 (2017)

126.87 Court actions.

(1)Injunction. The department may petition the circuit court for an ex parte temporary restraining order, a temporary injunction, or a permanent injunction to prevent, restrain, or enjoin any person from violating this chapter, any rule promulgated under this chapter, or any order issued under this chapter. The department may seek this remedy in addition to any other penalty or remedy provided under this chapter.


(a) A person who violates this chapter, a rule promulgated under this chapter, or an order issued under this chapter is subject to a forfeiture of not less than $250 nor more than $5,000 for each violation.

(b) A person who intentionally violates this chapter, a rule promulgated under this chapter, or an order issued under this chapter may be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned for not more than one year in the county jail or both.

(4)Private remedy.

(a) A person whose claim is allowed under s. 126.70 may bring an action against the contractor to recover the amount of the allowed claim, less any recovery amount that the department pays to the claimant under s. 126.71. In any court action under this subsection, the claimant may recover costs including all reasonable attorney fees, notwithstanding s. 814.04 (1). This subsection does not limit any other legal cause of action that the claimant may have against the contractor.

(b) A claim allowed under s. 126.70 has the same priority in an insolvency proceeding or creditor's action as a claim for wages, except as otherwise provided by federal law.

(5)Collections. The department may bring an action in court to recover any unpaid amount that a contractor owes the department under this chapter, including any unpaid fund assessment or reimbursement.

History: 2001 a. 16.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Wisconsin may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.