2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 115. State superintendent; general classifications and definitions; children with disabilities.
115.425 Professional standards council for teachers.
115.425 Professional standards council for teachers. The professional standards council for teachers shall do all of the following:
(1) Advise the state superintendent on standards for the licensure of teachers, including initial licensure and maintenance and renewal of licenses, to ensure the effective teaching of a relevant curriculum in Wisconsin schools.
(2) Propose to the state superintendent standards for evaluating and approving teacher education programs, including continuing education programs.
(3) Provide to the state superintendent an ongoing assessment of the complexities of teaching and the status of the teaching profession in this state.
(4) Propose to the state superintendent policies and practices for school boards and state and local teacher organizations to use in developing effective teaching.
(5) Propose to the state superintendent standards and procedures for revoking a teaching license.
(6) Propose to the state superintendent ways to recognize excellence in teaching, including the assessment administered by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards and master educator licensure, and to assist teachers to achieve excellence in teaching.
(7) Propose to the state superintendent effective peer assistance and peer mentoring models, including evaluation systems, and alternative teacher dismissal procedures for consideration by school boards and labor organizations.
(8) Review and make recommendations regarding administrative rules proposed by the department that relate to teacher preparation, licensure and regulation.
(9) Propose to the state superintendent alternative procedures for the preparation and licensure of teachers.
(11) Report annually to the standing committees in each house of the legislature that deal with education matters on the activities and effectiveness of the council.