2010 Wisconsin Code
Chapter 812. Garnishment.
812.21 Release of garnishment; bond.


812.21 Release of garnishment; bond.


(1) The defendant may file with the clerk of the court a bond, executed by at least 2 sureties, resident freeholders of the state, to the effect that they will on demand pay to the plaintiff the amount of the judgment that may be recovered against such defendant not exceeding a sum specified, which shall be 1 1/2 times the amount of the debt specified in the garnishee complaint or in such less sum as the court directs. If the plaintiff fails to take issue with the garnishee answer the bond shall be conditioned to pay to the plaintiff the amount of the debt admitted or of the value of the property held by the garnishee.


(2) The sureties shall justify their responsibility by affidavit annexed, stating a sum which each is worth in property within this state, above all the surety's liabilities and exclusive of property exempt from execution, the aggregate of which sums shall be double the amount specified in the bond. The defendant shall serve on the plaintiff a copy of such bond with a notice of where the same was filed. Within 3 days after the receipt thereof the plaintiff may notify the defendant that the plaintiff excepts to the sufficiency of the sureties, otherwise the plaintiff waives all objections to them. When the plaintiff excepts, the sureties shall justify in like manner as bail on arrest, and ss. 818.17, 818.18 and 818.19 shall be applicable thereto. Thereafter the garnishee shall be discharged and the garnishment proceedings shall be deemed discontinued, and any money or property paid or delivered to any officer shall be surrendered to the person entitled thereto, and the costs shall be taxable as disbursements of the plaintiff in the action if the plaintiff recovers.

812.21 - ANNOT.

History: Sup. Ct. Order, 67 Wis. 2d 585, 759, 779 (1975); Stats. 1975 s. 812.21; Sup. Ct. Order, 83 Wis. 2d xiii; 1993 a. 486.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Wisconsin may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.