2010 Wisconsin Code
Chapter 808. Appeals and writs of error.
808.08 Further proceedings in trial court.


808.08 Further proceedings in trial court. When the record and remittitur are received in the trial court:


(1) If the trial judge is ordered to take specific action, the judge shall do so as soon as possible.


(2) If a new trial is ordered, the trial court, upon receipt of the remitted record, shall place the matter on the trial calendar.


(3) If action or proceedings other than those mentioned in sub. (1) or (2) is ordered, any party may, within one year after receipt of the remitted record by the clerk of the trial court, make appropriate motion for further proceedings. If further proceedings are not so initiated, the action shall be dismissed except that an extension of the one-year period may be granted, on notice, by the trial court, if the order for extension is entered during the one-year period.

808.08 - ANNOT.

History: 1977 c. 187.

808.08 - ANNOT.

"Further proceedings" under s. 801.58 (7) and sub. (3) have the same definition. State ex rel. Ondrasek v. Calumet Circuit Court, 133 Wis. 2d 177, 394 N.W.2d 912 (Ct. App. 1986).

808.08 - ANNOT.

A "specific action" under sub. (1) is one that requires no exercise of discretion by the trial court. "Further proceedings" under sub. (3) are those requiring the exercise of discretion by the trial court. State ex rel. J.H. Findorff v. Circuit Court for Milwaukee County, 2000 WI 30, 233 Wis. 2d 428, 608 N.W.2d 679, 97-3452.

808.08 - ANNOT.

In the absence of a remand order in the mandate line or some other clear directive from the appellate court ultimately deciding the appeal, a trial court whose judgment or final order has been affirmed by the appellate court on the merits has no authority to reopen the case for an amended complaint. Tietsworth v. Harley-Davidson, Inc. 2007 WI 97, 303 Wis. 2d 94, 735 N.W.2d 418, 04-2655.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Wisconsin may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.