2010 Wisconsin Code
Chapter 128. Creditors' actions.
128.02 Assignment; mistakes; amendments.


128.02 Assignment; mistakes; amendments.


(1) Voluntary assignments for the benefit of creditors may be made to an assignee who is a resident of this state, who shall, before taking possession of the property assigned and before taking upon himself or herself any trust conferred by the assignment, file the assignment and deliver to the clerk of the circuit court of the county in which such assignor resides or has his or her principal place of business at the time of the assignment, a bond as required by s. 128.09.


(2) No assignment shall be void because of any defect, informality or mistake in the assignment or in the bond, inventory or list of creditors accompanying the assignment. The court may direct the amendment of the assignment or of any other document to effect the intention of the assignor or assignee, or to obtain a distribution of the assignor's assets as provided in this chapter, and any such amendment shall relate back to the time of the execution of the document. No mistake in filing a copy instead of an original or any like mistake or inadvertent failure to comply with this chapter shall void the assignment.




(a) No creditor shall, in case a debtor has attempted to make an assignment for the benefit of creditors, or in case of the insolvency of any debtor, by attachment, garnishment or otherwise, obtain priority over other creditors upon the assignment being adjudged void, or in consequence of any sale, lien or security being adjudged void.


(b) In all cases described in par. (a), the property of the debtor shall be administered for the ratable benefit of all of the debtor's creditors under the direction of the court by the assignee or by a receiver.

128.02 - ANNOT.

History: 1993 a. 492; 1997 a. 253.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Wisconsin may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.