2021 West Virginia Code
Chapter 36. Estates and Property
Article 7. Uniform Transfers to Minors Act
In this article:
(1) "Adult" means an individual who has attained the age of twenty-one years.
(2) "Benefit plan" means an employer's plan for the benefit of an employee or partner.
(3) "Broker" means a person lawfully engaged in the business of effecting transactions in securities or commodities for the person's own account or for the account of others.
(4) "Conservator" means a person appointed or qualified by a court to act as general, limited or temporary guardian of a minor's property or a person legally authorized to perform substantially the same functions.
(5) "Court" means any circuit court.
(6) "Custodial property" means (i) any interest in property transferred to a custodian under this article and (ii) the income from and proceeds of that interest in property.
(7) "Custodian" means a person so designated under section nine or a successor or substitute custodian designated under section eighteen of this article.
(8) "Financial institution" means a bank, trust company, savings institution or credit union, chartered and supervised under state or federal law.
(9) "Legal representative" means the personal representative or conservator of an individual.
(10) "Member of the minor's family" means the minor's parent, step-parent, spouse, grandparent, brother, sister, uncle, or aunt, whether of the whole or half blood or by adoption.
(11) "Minor" means an individual who has not attained the age of twenty-one years.
(12) "Person" means an individual, corporation, organization or other legal entity.
(13) "Personal representative" means an executor, administrator, successor, personal representative or special administrator of a decedent's estate or a person legally authorized to perform substantially the same functions.
(14) "State" includes any state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and any territory or possession subject to the legislative authority of the United States.
(15) "Transfer" means a transaction that creates custodial property under section nine of this article.
(16) "Transferor" means a person who makes a transfer under this article.
(17) "Trust company" means a financial institution, corporation or other legal entity authorized to exercise general trust powers.