2018 West Virginia Code
CHAPTER 44C. UNIFORM ADULT GUARDIANSHIP AND PROTECTIVE PROCEEDINGS JURISDICTION ACT.
ARTICLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS.
For purposes of this chapter:
(1) "Adult" means an individual who has attained eighteen years of age.
(2) "Conservator" means a person appointed by the court to administer the property of an adult, including a person appointed under section one, article one, chapter forty-four-a of this code.
(3) "Emergency" means a circumstance that likely will result in substantial harm to a respondent's health, safety or welfare and for which the appointment of a guardian is necessary because no other person has authority and is willing to act on the respondent's behalf.
(4) "Guardian" means a person appointed by the court to make decisions regarding the person of an adult, including a person appointed under article two, chapter forty-four-a of this code.
(5) "Guardianship order" means an order appointing a guardian.
(6) "Guardianship proceeding" means a judicial proceeding in which an order for the appointment of a guardian is sought or has been issued.
(7) "Home state" means the state in which the respondent was physically present, including any period of temporary absence, for at least six consecutive months immediately before the filing of a petition for a protective order or the appointment of a guardian; or if none, the state in which the respondent was physically present, including any period of temporary absence, for at least six consecutive months ending within the six months prior to the filing of the petition.
(8) "Incapacitated person" means an adult for whom a guardian has been appointed.
(9) "Party" means the respondent, petitioner, guardian, conservator or any other person allowed by the court to participate in a guardianship or protective proceeding.
(10) "Person", except in the term "incapacitated person or protected person", means an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, joint venture, public corporation, government or governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity.
(11) "Protected person", for purposes of this chapter only, means an adult for whom a protective order, as defined in this section, has been issued. "Protected person", as used in this chapter, has the meaning ascribed to it in subsection thirteen-b, section four, article one, chapter forty-four-a of this code.
(12) "Protective order," for purposes of this chapter only and notwithstanding the meaning which the term may have outside of this chapter, means an order appointing a conservator or other order related to management of an adult's property.
(13) "Protective proceeding" means a judicial proceeding in which a protective order, as defined in this section, is sought or has been issued.
(14) "Record" means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(15) "Respondent" means an adult for whom a protective order or the appointment of a guardian is sought.
(16) "Significant-connection state" means a state, other than the home state, with which a respondent has a significant connection other than mere physical presence and in which substantial evidence concerning the respondent is available. In determining whether a respondent has a significant connection with a particular state, the court shall consider:
(A) The location of the respondent's family and other persons required to be notified of the guardianship or protective proceeding;
(B) The length of time the respondent at any time was physically present in the state and the duration of any absence;
(C) The location of the respondent's property; and
(D) The extent to which the respondent has ties to the state such as voting registration, state or local tax return filing, vehicle registration, driver's license, social relationship and receipt of services.
(17) "State" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, a federally recognized Indian tribe or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.