2010 West Virginia Code
§11-15B-20. Telecommunication sourcing definitions.
CHAPTER 11. TAXATION
ARTICLE 15B. STREAMLINED SALES AND USE TAXES.
§11-15B-20. Telecommunication sourcing definitions.
For the purpose of this article, including section nineteen of this article, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Air-to-ground radiotelephone service" means a radio service, as that term is defined in 47 CFR 22.99, in which common carriers are authorized to offer and provide radio telecommunications service for hire to subscribers in aircraft.
(2) "Ancillary services" means services that are associated with or incidental to the provision of "telecommunications services", including, but not limited to, "detailed telecommunications billing", "directory assistance", "vertical service" and "voice mail services".
(3) "Call-by-call basis" means any method of charging for telecommunications services where the price is measured by individual calls.
(4) "Communications channel" means a physical or virtual path of communications over which signals are transmitted between or among customer channel termination points.
(5) "Customer" means the person or entity that contracts with the seller of telecommunications services. If the end user of telecommunications services is not the contracting party, the end user of the telecommunications service is the customer of the telecommunication service, but this sentence only applies for the purpose of sourcing sales of telecommunications services under section nineteen of this article. "Customer" does not include a reseller of telecommunications service or for mobile telecommunications service of a serving carrier under an agreement to serve the customer outside the home service provider's licensed service area.
(6) "Customer channel termination point" means the location where the customer either inputs or receives the communications.
(7) "End user" means the person who utilizes the telecommunication service. In the case of an entity, "end user" means the individual who utilizes the service on behalf of the entity.
(8) "Home service provider" means the same as that term is defined in Section 124(5) of Public Law 106-252 (Mobile Telecommunications Sourcing Act).
(9) "Mobile telecommunications service" means the same as that term is defined in Section 124 (7) of Public Law 106-252 (Mobile Telecommunications Sourcing Act).
(10) "Place of primary use" means the street address representative where the customer's use of the telecommunication service primarily occurs, which must be the residential street address or the primary business street address of the customer. In the case of mobile telecommunications services, "place of primary use" must be within the licensed service area of the home service provider.
(11) "Post-paid calling service" means the telecommunication service obtained by making a payment on a call-by-call basis either through the use of a credit card or payment mechanism such as a bank card, travel card, credit card or debit card or by charge made to a telephone number which is not associated with the origination or termination of the telecommunication service. A post-paid calling service includes a telecommunication service, except a prepaid wireless calling service, that would be a prepaid calling service except it is not exclusively a telecommunication service.
(12) "Prepaid calling service" means the right to access exclusively telecommunications services, which must be paid for in advance and which enables the origination of calls using an access number or authorization code, whether manually or electronically dialed, and that is sold in predetermined units or dollars of which the number declines with use in a known amount.
(13) "Prepaid wireless calling service" means a telecommunications service that provides the right to utilize mobile wireless service as well as other nontelecommunications services, including the download of digital products delivered electronically, content and ancillary services, which must be paid for in advance that is sold in predetermined units or dollars of which the number declines with use in a known amount.
(14) "Private communication service" means a telecommunication service that entitles the customer to exclusive or priority use of a communications channel or group of channels between or among termination points, regardless of the manner in which the channel or channels are connected, and includes switching capacity, extension lines, stations and any other associated services that are provided in connection with the use of the channel or channels.
(15) "Service address" means:
(A) The location of the telecommunications equipment to which a customer's call is charged and from which the call originates or terminates, regardless of where the call is billed or paid;
(B) If the location in paragraph (A) of this subdivision is not known, service address means the origination point of the signal of the telecommunications services first identified by either the seller's telecommunications system or in information received by the seller from its service provider, where the system used to transport the signals is not that of the seller; or
(C) If the location in paragraphs (A) and (B) of this subdivision are not known, then "service address" means the location of the customer's place of primary use.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. West Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.