2010 West Virginia Code
§11-15-9g. Exemption for clothing, footwear and school supplies
for limited period in the year two thousand four.
CHAPTER 11. TAXATION
ARTICLE 15. CONSUMERS SALES AND SERVICE TAX.
§11-15-9g. Exemption for clothing, footwear and school supplies for limited period in the year two thousand four.
(a) The sale of an article of clothing or footwear designed to be worn on or about the human body and the sale of school supplies, such as pens, pencils, binders, notebooks, reference books, book bags, lunch boxes, computers, computer accessories and calculators, is exempted from the taxes imposed by this article if:
(1) The sales price of the article or school supply, except for a computer or computer accessory, is less than one hundred dollars;
(2) The sales price of a computer is less than seven hundred fifty dollars after credit for any manufacturer's rebate or computer accessory is less than one hundred dollars after credit for any manufacturer's rebate; and
(3) The sale takes place during a period beginning at 12:01 a.m. eastern daylight time on the first Friday in August, two thousand four, and ending at 12 midnight eastern daylight time on the following Sunday in August, two thousand four.
(b) This section does not apply to:
(1) Any special clothing or footwear that is primarily designed for athletic activity or protective use and that is not normally worn except when used for the athletic activity or protective use for which it is designed;
(2) Accessories, including jewelry, handbags, luggage, umbrellas, wallets, watches and similar items carried on or about the human body, without regard to whether worn on the body in a manner characteristic of clothing;
(3) The rental of clothing, footwear or school supplies;
(4) Furniture; and
(5) Tangible personal property for use in a trade or business.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. West Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.