2021 Revised Code of Washington
Title 28A - Common School Provisions
Chapter 28A.155 - Special Education.
28A.155.090 - Superintendent of public instruction's duty and authority.
The superintendent of public instruction shall have the duty and authority, through the administrative section or unit for the education of children with disabling conditions, to:
(1) Assist school districts in the formation of programs to meet the needs of children with disabilities;
(2) Develop interdistrict cooperation programs for children with disabilities as authorized in RCW 28A.225.250;
(3) Provide, upon request, to parents or guardians of children with disabilities, information as to the special education programs for students with disabilities offered within the state;
(4) Assist, upon request, the parent or guardian of any child with disabilities in the placement of any child with disabilities who is eligible for but not receiving special educational services for children with disabilities;
(5) Approve school district and agency programs as being eligible for special excess cost financial aid to students with disabilities;
(6) Consistent with the provisions of RCW 28A.150.390, 28A.160.030, and 28A.155.010 through 28A.155.160, and part B of the federal individuals with disabilities education improvement act, administer administrative hearings and other procedures to ensure procedural safeguards of children with disabilities; and
(7) Promulgate such rules as are necessary to implement part B of the federal individuals with disabilities education improvement act or other federal law providing for special education services for children with disabilities and the several provisions of RCW 28A.150.390, 28A.160.030, and 28A.155.010 through 28A.155.160 and to ensure appropriate access to and participation in the general education curriculum and participation in statewide assessments for all students with disabilities.
[ 2007 c 115 § 11; 1995 c 77 § 15; 1990 c 33 § 127; 1985 c 341 § 5; 1971 ex.s. c 66 § 9. Formerly RCW 28A.13.070.]
Severability—Effective date—1971 ex.s. c 66: See notes following RCW 28A.155.010.