2018 Revised Code of Washington
Title 11 - PROBATE AND TRUST LAW
11.90 Uniform adult guardianship and protective proceedings jurisdiction act.
RCW 11.90.020 Definitions.
In this chapter:
(1) "Adult" means an individual who has attained eighteen years of age.
(2) "Guardian of the estate" means a person appointed by the court to administer the property of an adult, and includes a conservator appointed by the court in another state.
(3) "Guardian of the person" or "guardian" means a person appointed by the court to make decisions regarding the person of an adult.
(4) "Guardianship order" means an order appointing a guardian of the person or guardian of the estate.
(5) "Guardianship proceeding" means a judicial proceeding in which an order for the appointment of a guardian of the person or guardian of the estate is sought or has been issued.
(6) "Incapacitated person" means an adult for whom a guardian of the person or guardian of the estate has been appointed.
(7) "Party" means the respondent, petitioner, guardian of the person or guardian of the estate, or any other person allowed by the court to participate in a guardianship or protective proceeding.
(8) "Person," except in the term incapacitated person or protected person, means an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, joint venture, public corporation, government or governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity.
(9) "Protected person" means an adult for whom a protective order has been issued.
(10) "Protective order" means an order appointing a guardian of the estate or other order related to management of an adult's property, including an order issued by a court in another state appointing a conservator.
(11) "Protective proceeding" means a judicial proceeding in which a protective order is sought or has been issued.
(12) "Record" means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(13) "Respondent" means an adult for whom a protective order or the appointment of a guardian of the person is sought.
(14) "State" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, a federally recognized Indian tribe, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
[ 2009 c 81 § 2.]
Effective date—2009 c 81: See note following RCW 11.90.010.