2017 Revised Code of Washington
Title 46 - MOTOR VEHICLES
46.18 Special license plates.
46.18.220 Collector vehicle license plates.
RCW 46.18.220 Collector vehicle license plates.
(1) A registered owner may apply to the department, county auditor or other agent, or subagent appointed by the director for a collector vehicle license plate for a motor vehicle or travel trailer that is at least thirty years old. The motor vehicle must be operated primarily as a collector vehicle and be in good running order. The applicant for the collector vehicle license plate shall:
(a) Purchase a registration for the motor vehicle or travel trailer as required under chapters 46.16A and 46.17 RCW; and
(b) Pay the special license plate fee established under RCW 46.17.220(1)(f), in addition to any other fees or taxes required by law.
(2) A person applying for a collector vehicle license plate may:
(a) Receive a collector vehicle license plate assigned by the department; or
(b) Provide an actual Washington state issued license plate designated for general use in the year of the vehicle's manufacture.
(3) Collector vehicle license plates:
(a) Are valid for the life of the motor vehicle or travel trailer;
(b) Are not required to be renewed; and
(c) Must be displayed on the rear of the motor vehicle or travel trailer.
(4) A collector vehicle registered under this section may only be used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and occasional pleasure driving.
(5) Collector vehicle license plates under subsection (2)(b) of this section may be transferred from one vehicle to another vehicle described in subsection (1) of this section upon application to the department, county auditor or other agent, or subagent appointed by the director.
(6) Any person who knowingly provides a false or facsimile license plate under subsection (2)(b) of this section is subject to a traffic infraction and fine in an amount equal to the monetary penalty for a violation of RCW 46.16A.200(7)(b). Additionally, the person must pay for the cost of a collector vehicle license plate as listed in RCW 46.17.220(1)(f), unless already paid.
[ 2015 c 200 § 3. Prior: 2011 c 243 § 1; 2011 c 171 § 70; 2010 c 161 § 617.]
Effective date—2015 c 200: See note following RCW 46.16A.428.
Effective date—2011 c 243 § 1: "Section 1 of this act takes effect August 1, 2011." [ 2011 c 243 § 3.]
Intent—Effective date—2011 c 171: See notes following RCW 4.24.210.
Effective date—Intent—Legislation to reconcile chapter 161, Laws of 2010 and other amendments made during the 2010 legislative session—2010 c 161: See notes following RCW 46.04.013.