2021 Code of Virginia
Title 64.2 - Wills, Trusts, and Fiduciaries
Chapter 12 - Commissioners of Accounts
§ 64.2-1208. Expenses and commissions allowed fiduciaries

Universal Citation: VA Code § 64.2-1208 (2021)

A. In stating and settling the account, the commissioner of accounts shall allow the fiduciary any reasonable expenses incurred by him and, except in cases in which it is otherwise provided, a reasonable compensation in the form of a commission on receipts or otherwise. Unless otherwise provided by the court, any guardian appointed pursuant to Chapter 20 (§ 64.2-2000 et seq.) or Chapter 21 (§ 64.2-2100 et seq.) shall also be allowed reasonable compensation for his services. If a committee or other fiduciary renders services with regard to real estate owned by the ward or beneficiary, compensation may also be allowed for the services rendered with regard to the real estate and the income from or the value of such real estate.

B. Notwithstanding subsection A or any provision under Chapter 7 (§ 64.2-700 et seq.), where the compensation of an institutional fiduciary is specified under the terms of the trust or will by reference to a standard published fee schedule, the commissioner of accounts shall not reduce the compensation below the amount specified unless there is sufficient proof that (i) the settlor or testator was not competent when the trust instrument or will was executed or (ii) such compensation is excessive in light of the compensation institutional fiduciaries generally receive in similar situations.

Code 1919, § 5425; Code 1950, § 26-30; 1985, c. 402; 1997, c. 921; 2005, c. 935; 2011, c. 518; 2012, c. 614.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.