2019 Code of Virginia
Title 9.1 - Commonwealth Public Safety
Chapter 2 - Department of Fire Programs
§ 9.1-201. Powers of Executive Director
The Executive Director shall have the following powers to:
1. Supervise the administration of the Department;
2. Prepare, approve, and submit all requests for appropriations and be responsible for all expenditures pursuant to appropriations;
3. Employ such staff as is necessary to carry out the powers and duties of this chapter, within the limits of available appropriations;
4. Accept on behalf of the Department grants from the United States government and agencies and instrumentalities thereof and any other sources. To these ends, the Executive Director shall have the power to execute such agreements in accordance with any policies of the Virginia Fire Services Board;
5. Do all acts necessary or convenient to carry out the purpose of this chapter and to assist the Board in carrying out its responsibilities and duties;
6. Make and enter into all contracts and agreements necessary or incidental to the performance of its duties and the execution of its powers under this chapter, including, but not limited to, contracts with the United States, other states, and agencies and governmental subdivisions of the Commonwealth;
7. Appoint a director of fire services training;
8. Receive funds as appropriated by the General Assembly collected pursuant to § 38.2-401, on an annual basis to be used as provided in subsection C of § 38.2-401;
9. Administer the Thermal Imaging Camera Grant Funds established pursuant to § 9.1-205; and
10. Administer the provisions of the Statewide Fire Prevention Code (§ 27-94 et seq.).
1978, c. 606, § 9-154; 1981, c. 154; 1985, cc. 397, 545; 2001, c. 844; 2002, c. 721; 2007, cc. 647, 741; 2012, cc. 164, 456.