2019 Code of Virginia
Title 55.1 - Property and Conveyances
Chapter 22 - Virginia Real Estate Time-Share Act
§ 55.1-2218. (Effective October 1, 2019) Certain advertising practices regulated
A. Any offering that includes a gift or prize shall disclose in such offering, with the same prominence as such offer:
1. The retail value of each gift or prize;
2. The approximate odds against any given person obtaining each gift or prize if all persons to whom the advertisement is disseminated do what is necessary to qualify for the award of the gift or prize;
3. If the number of gifts or prizes to be awarded is limited, a statement of the number of gifts or prizes to be awarded or, in lieu of such statement, the nature of such limitation;
4. All rules, terms, requirements, and conditions that shall be fulfilled before a prospective purchaser may claim any gift or prize, including whether the prospective purchaser is required to attend a sales presentation in order to receive the gift or prize;
5. The date upon which the offer expires; and
6. A statement to the effect that the offer is being made for the purpose of soliciting the purchase of a time-share, time-share interest, interval ownership, interval ownership interest, vacation ownership, vacation ownership interest, or product, as appropriate.
B. Any gift or prize offered in connection with an offering shall be delivered to the prospective purchaser no later than the day the purchaser attends a sales presentation, if required, and if not, on the day the purchaser appears to claim it, whether or not he purchases a time-share. In the event that the supply of gifts or prizes is exhausted at the time required for delivery, the developer shall give the prospective purchaser a written, unconditional promise to deliver such gift or prize no later than 30 days from the date required for delivery. If such gift or prize is not obtainable, the developer shall deliver an item of equal or greater value.
C. The offering or sale of any product registered with the Board is exempt from the Virginia Securities Act (§ 13.1-501 et seq.), Chapter 9 (§ 55.1-900 et seq.), the Virginia Condominium Act (§ 55.1-1900 et seq.), the Subdivided Land Sales Act (§ 55.1-2300 et seq.), the Virginia Home Solicitation Sales Act (§ 59.1-21.1 et seq.), the Prizes and Gifts Act (§ 59.1-415 et seq.), and the Virginia Travel Club Act (§ 59.1-445 et seq.).
1983, c. 59, § 55-374.1; 1984, c. 333; 1985, c. 517; 1991, c. 704; 1994, c. 580; 1996, c. 372; 1998, c. 460; 2006, c. 653; 2008, cc. 851, 871; 2019, c. 712.