2018 Code of Virginia
Title 6.2 - Financial Institutions and Services
Chapter 20 - Agencies Providing Debt Management Plans
§ 6.2-2005. Qualifications
A. Upon the filing and investigation of an application for a license, and compliance by the applicant with the provisions of §§ 6.2-2002 and 6.2-2003, the Commission shall issue and deliver to the applicant the license to engage in business under this chapter at the locations specified in the application if it finds that:
1. The financial responsibility, character, reputation, experience, and general fitness of the applicant and its members, senior officers, directors, trustees, and principals are such as to warrant belief that the business will be operated efficiently and fairly, in the public interest, and in accordance with law;
2. The applicant has made acceptable provision for the avoidance of conflicts of interest;
3. The applicant maintains a separate trust account with an FDIC-insured depository institution for the handling of customers' funds;
4. The applicant's credit counselors are certified through a bona fide third-party certification provider unaffiliated with the applicant that authenticates the competence of counselors providing consumer assistance;
5. No more than one-third of the board of directors or managing members are employees, officers, members, principals, trustees, directors, agents, or other representatives of organizations that grant credit to consumers;
6. The applicant is accredited by the International Standards Organization or the Council on Accreditation or any other organization approved by the Commission;
7. The applicant has fidelity bond coverage in such principal amount as may be determined by the Commission;
8. The applicant (i) is not the subject of any current material administrative or regulatory proceedings by any governmental authority and (ii) has not received a material adverse determination in any past administrative or regulatory proceedings by any governmental authority; and
9. The applicant has filed with the Commission a form, that shall be provided to each consumer prior to his execution of a DMP, that contains the following disclosures to the consumer: (i) all fees charged by the applicant or contributions solicited by the applicant from the consumer; (ii) whether the applicant is a for-profit entity or nonprofit entity; and (iii) whether the applicant received financial support from creditors during the preceding calendar year.
B. If the Commission fails to make such findings, no license shall be issued and the Commissioner shall notify the applicant of the denial and the reasons for such denial.
C. A license shall not be issued to a collection agency, or to any creditor or association of creditors, or to any credit-granting organization or association of such organizations.
2004, c. 790, § 6.1-363.7; 2005, c. 315; 2010, c. 794.