2018 Code of Virginia
Title 40.1 - Labor and Employment
Chapter 5 - Child Labor
§ 40.1-79.01. Exemptions from chapter generally
A. Nothing in this chapter, except the provisions of §§ 40.1-100 A, 40.1-100.1, 40.1-100.2, and 40.1-103, shall apply to:
1. A child engaged in domestic work when such work is performed in connection with the child's own home and directly for his parent or a person standing in place of his parent;
2. A child employed in occasional work performed outside school hours where such work is in connection with the employer's home but not in connection with the employer's business, trade, or profession;
3. A child 12 or 13 years of age employed outside school hours on farms, in orchards or in gardens with the consent of his parent or a person standing in place of his parent;
4. A child between the ages of 12 and 18 employed as a page or clerk for either the House of Delegates or the Senate of Virginia;
5. A child participating in the activities of a volunteer emergency medical services agency;
6. A child under 16 years of age employed by his parent in an occupation other than manufacturing; or
7. A child 12 years of age or older employed by an eleemosynary organization or unit of state or local government as a referee for sports programs sponsored by that eleemosynary, state, or local organization or by an organization of referees sponsored by an organization recognized by the United States Olympic Committee under 36 U.S.C. § 220522.
B. Nothing in this chapter, except §§ 40.1-100.1, 40.1-100.2, and 40.1-103, shall be construed to apply to a child employed by his parent or a person standing in place of his parent on farms, in orchards or in gardens owned or operated by such parent or person.
1991, c. 511; 1998, c. 30; 2003, c. 380; 2015, cc. 502, 503.