2018 Code of Virginia
Title 40.1 - Labor and Employment
Chapter 4 - Labor Unions, Strikes, Etc.
Article 1. In General
- § 40.1-52. Authority of labor unions to own, encumber and sell real estate
- § 40.1-53. Preventing persons from pursuing lawful vocations, etc.; illegal picketing; injunction
- § 40.1-54. Payment of certain charges by carriers or shippers to or for benefit of labor organization
- § 40.1-54.1. Public policy as to strikes and work stoppages at hospitals
- § 40.1-54.2. Strikes and work stoppages at hospitals prohibited; penalty
- § 40.1-54.3. Right to vote by secret ballot on labor organization representation
Article 2. Strikes by Government Employees
- § 40.1-55. Employee striking terminates, and becomes temporarily ineligible for, public employment
- § 40.1-56. Department head, etc., to notify employee of such termination, etc.
- § 40.1-57. Appeal by employee from declaration of ineligibility
- § 40.1-57.1. Appeal by employer for reemployment of terminated employee
Article 2.1. Collective Bargaining for Governmental Employees
Article 3. Denial or Abridgement of Right to Work
- § 40.1-58. Policy of article
- § 40.1-58.1. Application of article to public employers and employees
- § 40.1-59. Agreements or combinations declared unlawful
- § 40.1-60. Employers not to require employees to become or remain members of union
- § 40.1-61. Employers not to require abstention from membership or officeholding in union
- § 40.1-62. Employer not to require payment of union dues, etc.
- § 40.1-63. Recovery by individual unlawfully denied employment
- § 40.1-64. Application of article to contracts
- § 40.1-65. Agreement or practice designed to cause employer to violate article declared illegal
- § 40.1-66. Conduct causing violation of article illegal; peaceful solicitation to join union
- § 40.1-67. Injunctive relief against violation; recovery of damages
- § 40.1-68. Service of process on clerk of State Corporation Commission as attorney for union
- § 40.1-69. Violation a misdemeanor
Article 4. Mediation and Conciliation of Labor Disputes
- § 40.1-70. Department designated agency to mediate disputes
- § 40.1-71. Notice of proposed termination or modification of collective bargaining contract; notice prior to work stoppage; injunctions and penalties
- § 40.1-72. Commissioner to notify Governor of disputes; mediation and conciliation
- § 40.1-73. Commissioner to keep Governor informed of negotiations, etc.
- § 40.1-74. Right of entry
- § 40.1-75. Article not applicable when National Railway Labor Act applies
Article 5. Registration of Labor Unions, Labor Associations and Labor Organizations
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.