2013 Code of Virginia
Title 46.2 - MOTOR VEHICLES.
Chapter 10 - Motor Vehicle and Equipment Safety
Section 46.2-1077 - Motor vehicles not to be equipped with television within view of driver; viewing motion pictures o...
§ 46.2-1077. Motor vehicles not to be equipped with television within view of driver; viewing motion pictures or similar displays while driving.
A. No motor vehicle registered in the Commonwealth of Virginia shall be equipped with, nor shall there be used therein, a television receiver when the moving images are visible to the driver while the vehicle is in motion. The operator of a motor vehicle that is not required to be registered in Virginia shall not operate a television receiver that violates the provisions of this section while driving in the Commonwealth.
The prohibitions contained in this subsection shall not, however, include:
1. Electronic displays used in conjunction with vehicle navigation and mapping systems, or as part of a digital dispatch system;
2. Closed circuit video monitors designed to operate only in conjunction with dedicated video cameras and used in rear-view systems on trucks, motor homes, and other motor vehicles;
3. Television receivers or monitors used in government-owned vehicles by law-enforcement officers and employees of the Virginia Department of Transportation in the course of their official duties;
4. Visual displays used to enhance or supplement the driver's view forward, behind, or to the sides of a motor vehicle for the purpose of maneuvering the vehicle;
5. A vehicle information display;
6. A visual display used to enhance or supplement a driver's view of vehicle occupants;
7. Television-type receiving equipment used exclusively for safety or traffic engineering information; or
8. A television receiver, video monitor, television or video screen, or any other similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or signal, if that equipment has an interlock device that, when the motor vehicle is driven, disables the equipment for all uses except as a visual display described in subdivisions 1 through 7.
B. Except for displays explicitly authorized in subsection A, no driver of any motor vehicle shall view any motion picture or similar video display while driving.
(Code 1950, § 46-219.1; 1950, p. 882; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-202; 1989, c. 727; 1994, c. 117; 2005, cc. 210, 913; 2007, c. 110; 2011, c. 275.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.