2011 Code of Virginia
Title 6.2 FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS AND SERVICES.
Chapter 3 Interest and Usury (6.2-300 thru 6.2-329)
6.2-303 Contracts for more than legal rate of interest.
6.2-303. Contracts for more than legal rate of interest.
A. Except as otherwise permitted by law, no contract shall be made for the payment of interest on a loan at a rate that exceeds 12 percent per year.
B. Laws that permit payment of interest at a rate that exceeds 12 percent per year are set out, without limitation, in:
1. Article 4 ( 6.2-309 et seq.) of this chapter;
2. Chapter 15 ( 6.2-1500 et seq.), relating to powers of consumer finance companies;
3. Chapter 18 ( 6.2-1800 et seq.), relating to payday lenders;
4. Chapter 22 ( 6.2-2200 et seq.), relating to interest chargeable by motor vehicle title lenders;
5. 36-55.31, relating to loans by the Virginia Housing Development Authority;
6. 38.2-1806, relating to interest chargeable by insurance agents;
7. Chapter 47 ( 38.2-4700 et seq.) of Title 38.2, relating to interest chargeable by premium finance companies;
8. 54.1-4008, relating to interest chargeable by pawnbrokers; and
9. 58.1-3018, relating to interest and origination fees payable under third-party tax payment agreements.
C. In the case of any loan upon which a person is not permitted to plead usury, interest and other charges may be imposed and collected as agreed by the parties.
D. Any provision of this chapter that provides that a loan or extension of credit may be enforced as agreed in the contract of indebtedness, shall not be construed to preclude the charging or collecting of other loan fees and charges permitted by law, in addition to the stated interest rate. Such other loan fees and charges need not be included in the rate of interest stated in the contract of indebtedness.
(1987, c. 622, 6.1-330.55; 1997, c. 180; 2002, c. 897; 2010, cc. 477, 794.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.