2010 Code of Virginia
Title 55 - PROPERTY AND CONVEYANCES.
Chapter 31 - Uniform Trust Code (55-541.01 thru 55-551.06)
55-548.14 - Discretionary powers; tax savings.
§ 55-548.14. Discretionary powers; tax savings.
A. Notwithstanding the breadth of discretion granted to a trustee in the terms of the trust, including the use of such terms as "absolute", "sole", or "uncontrolled", the trustee shall exercise a discretionary power in good faith and in accordance with the terms and purposes of the trust and the interests of the beneficiaries.
B. Subject to subsection D, and unless the terms of the trust expressly indicate that a rule in this subsection does not apply:
1. A person other than a settlor who is a beneficiary and trustee of a trust that confers on the trustee a power to make discretionary distributions to or for the trustee's personal benefit may exercise the power only in accordance with an ascertainable standard; and
2. A trustee may not exercise a power to make discretionary distributions to satisfy a legal obligation of support that the trustee personally owes another person.
C. A power whose exercise is limited or prohibited by subsection B may be exercised by a majority of the remaining trustees whose exercise of the power is not so limited or prohibited. If the power of all trustees is so limited or prohibited, the court may appoint a special fiduciary with authority to exercise the power.
D. Subsection B does not apply to:
1. A power held by the settlor's spouse who is the trustee of a trust for which a marital deduction, as defined in § 2056 (b) (5) or 2523 (e) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as in effect on the effective date of this chapter, or as later amended, was previously allowed;
2. Any trust during any period that the trust may be revoked or amended by its settlor; or
3. A trust if contributions to the trust qualify for the annual exclusion under § 2503 (c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as in effect on the effective date of this chapter, or as later amended.
(2005, c. 935.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.