2010 Code of Virginia
Title 55 - PROPERTY AND CONVEYANCES.
Chapter 19 - Subdivided Land Sales Act (55-336 thru 55-351)
55-338 - Exemptions.
§ 55-338. Exemptions.
Unless the method of disposition is adopted for the purposes of evasion of this chapter, the provisions of this chapter shall not apply to:
1. The sale of a subdivision to a single purchaser for his own account in a single or isolated transaction;
2. The disposition of lots in a subdivision if each lot in the subdivision is at least five acres or more in size;
3. The disposition of a lot on which there is a residential, commercial or industrial building, or as to which there is a legal obligation on the part of the seller to construct such a building within a period of two years from the date of disposition;
4. The disposition of land pursuant to court order, provided the court reviews and approves the disposition on an individual basis;
5. The disposition of cemetery lots;
6. Offers or dispositions of evidence of indebtedness secured by a mortgage or deed of trust on real estate;
7. Offers or dispositions of securities or units of interest issued by a real estate investment trust regulated under any state or federal statute;
8. Offers or dispositions of any interest in real estate, oil, gas, or other minerals or any royalty interest therein if the offers or dispositions of such interests are regulated as securities by the United States or by this Commonwealth;
9. The disposition of a lot or lots to any person whose purpose in acquiring the land is to engage in the business of constructing residential, commercial, or industrial buildings thereon;
10. The lease of a lot where the right to possession or the rental term does not exceed one year in the aggregate and where the conditions of the lease do not obligate the lessee to renew;
11. The sale or lease of condominium units registered pursuant to the Virginia Condominium Act (§ 55-79.39 et seq.);
12. The disposition of real estate which is zoned or otherwise designated by the appropriate governmental authority for, or restricted by a valid recorded declaration of covenants to, commercial or industrial use.
(1978, c. 510; 1980, c. 546.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.