2010 Code of Virginia
Title 55 - PROPERTY AND CONVEYANCES.
Chapter 19 - Subdivided Land Sales Act (55-336 thru 55-351)
55-337 - Definitions.
§ 55-337. Definitions.
When used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Agent" means any person who represents or acts for or on behalf of a developer in the disposition of any lot or lots in a subdivision; but shall not include an attorney-at-law whose representation of another person consists solely of rendering legal services.
2. "Blanket encumbrance" means a trust, deed, mortgage, judgment or any other lien or encumbrance, securing or evidencing the payment of money and affecting the land in toto comprising the subdivision to be offered and sold or leased or affecting more than ten lots or parcels of such lands, or an agreement affecting more than ten lots or parcels of such lands by which the developer holds said subdivision under option, contract, sale or trust agreement. The term shall not include mechanics' liens, taxes or assessments levied by a public authority, or easements granted to public utilities or governmental agencies for the purpose of bringing services to the lot or parcel within the subdivision.
3. "Developer" means any person who offers, directly or indirectly, for disposition, any lots in a subdivision, but shall not include a trustee under a deed of trust securing an indebtedness or other obligation who sells lots within such subdivision under foreclosure proceedings provided the purpose in so doing is not to evade the provisions of this chapter.
4. "Subdivision" means:
a. Any subdivision of land into one hundred or more lots, whether contiguous or not, where any lots therein are, from July 1, 1978, sold or disposed of, by land sales installment contracts, and pursuant to a common promotional plan, where lot purchasers within said subdivision have use of and access to the facilities and amenities within such subdivision for which the said lot owners are assessed on a regular or special basis for the use and enjoyment thereof.
b. Any existing subdivision of land of thirty or more lots wherein the developer has concluded its sales effort for a period of six consecutive months and has transferred to the association described in subdivision A 1 of § 55-344 all the title, control, and maintenance responsibilities of the common areas and common facilities.
5. "Disposition" or "sale" means any lease, assignment or exchange or any interest in any lot which is a part of or included in a subdivision.
6. "Offer" means any inducement, solicitation, media advertisement or attempt performed by or on behalf of a developer which has as its objective the disposition of a lot or lots in a subdivision.
7. "Person" means any individual, corporation, government or governmental agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, unincorporated association, two or more of any of the foregoing having a joint or common interest, or any other legal or commercial entity.
8. "Purchaser" means a person who acquires or attempts to acquire any lot or lots in a subdivision.
9. "Lot" means any unit, parcel, division, or piece of land or interest in land except utility easements if such interest carries with it the exclusive right to use a specific portion of property.
10. "Land sales installment contract" means any installment contract for the sale or disposition of land whereby the purchaser does not receive a deed conveying the property purchased until part or all installment payments have been made as called for in the contract and record title to said property remains in another pending full performance of the contract.
(1978, c. 510; 1980, c. 546; 1996, c. 372.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.