2006 Code of Virginia § 55-248.17 - Rules and regulations
55-248.17. Rules and regulations.
A. A landlord, from time to time, may adopt rules or regulations, howeverdescribed, concerning the tenants' use and occupancy of the premises. Anysuch rule or regulation is enforceable against the tenant only if:
1. Its purpose is to promote the convenience, safety or welfare of thetenants in the premises, preserve the landlord's property from abusive use ormake a fair distribution of services and facilities held out for the tenantsgenerally;
2. It is reasonably related to the purpose for which it is adopted;
3. It applies to all tenants in the premises in a fair manner;
4. It is sufficiently explicit in its prohibition, direction or limitation ofthe tenant's conduct to fairly inform him of what he must or must not do tocomply;
5. It is not for the purpose of evading the obligations of the landlord; and
6. The tenant has been provided with a copy of the rules and regulations orchanges thereto at the time he enters into the rental agreement or when theyare adopted.
B. A rule or regulation adopted, changed, or provided to the tenant after thetenant enters into the rental agreement shall be enforceable against thetenant if reasonable notice of its adoption or change has been given to thetenant and it does not work a substantial modification of his bargain. If arule or regulation is adopted or changed after the tenant enters into therental agreement that does work a substantial modification of his bargain, itshall not be valid unless the tenant consents to it in writing.
C. Any court enforcing this chapter shall consider violations of thereasonable rules and regulations imposed under this section as a breach ofthe rental agreement and grant the landlord appropriate relief.
(1974, c. 680; 2000, c. 760.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.