2006 Code of Virginia § 20-88.67 - Procedure to register order for enforcement
20-88.67. Procedure to register order for enforcement.
A. A support order or income-withholding order of another state may beregistered in the Commonwealth by sending the following records andinformation to the appropriate tribunal in the Commonwealth:
1. A letter of transmittal to the tribunal requesting registration andenforcement;
2. Two copies, including one certified copy, of the order to be registered,including any modification of the order;
3. A sworn statement by the party requesting registration or a certifiedstatement by the custodian of the records showing the amount of any arrearage;
4. The name of the obligor and, if known, (i) the obligor's address andsocial security number, (ii) the name and address of the obligor's employerand any other source of income of the obligor, and (iii) a description andthe location of property of the obligor in the Commonwealth not exempt fromexecution; and
5. Except as otherwise provided in 20-88.55, the name and address of theobligee and, if applicable, the support enforcement agency to whom supportpayments are to be remitted.
B. On receipt of a request for registration, the registering tribunal shallcause the order to be filed as a foreign support order, together with onecopy of the documents and information, regardless of their form.
C. A petition or comparable pleading seeking a remedy that shall beaffirmatively sought under other law of the Commonwealth may be filed at thesame time as the request for registration or later. The pleading shallspecify the grounds for the remedy sought.
D. If two or more orders are in effect, the individual or support enforcementagency requesting registration shall:
1. Furnish to the tribunal a copy of every support order asserted to be ineffect in addition to the documents specified in this section;
2. Specify the order alleged to be the controlling order, if any; and
3. Specify the amount of consolidated arrears, if any.
E. A request for a determination of which is the controlling order may befiled separately or with a request for registration and enforcement or forregistration and modification. The individual or support enforcement agencyrequesting registration shall give notice of the request to each party whoserights may be affected by the determination.
(1994, c. 673; 1995, c. 484; 2005, c. 754.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.