2006 Code of Virginia § 20-88.63 - Petition to establish support order
20-88.63. Petition to establish support order.
A. If a support order entitled to recognition under this chapter has not beenissued, a responding tribunal of the Commonwealth may issue a support orderif (i) the individual seeking the order resides in another state or (ii) thesupport enforcement agency seeking the order is located in another state.
B. The tribunal may issue a temporary child support order if the tribunaldetermines that such an order is appropriate and the individual ordered topay is:
1. A presumed father of the child;
2. Petitioning to have his paternity adjudicated;
3. Identified as the father of the child through genetic testing;
4. An alleged father who has declined to submit to genetic testing;
5. Shown by clear and convincing evidence to be the father of the child;
6. An acknowledged father as provided by applicable state law;
7. The mother of the child; or
8. An individual who has been ordered to pay child support in a previousproceeding and the order has not been reversed or vacated.
C. Upon finding, after notice and opportunity to be heard, that an obligorowes a duty of support, the tribunal shall issue a support order directed tothe obligor and may issue other orders pursuant to 20-88.48.
(1994, c. 673; 2005, c. 754.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.