2006 Code of Virginia § 20-88.50 - Duties of support enforcement agency
20-88.50. Duties of support enforcement agency.
A. A support enforcement agency of the Commonwealth, upon request, shallprovide services to a petitioner in a proceeding under this chapter. Asupport enforcement agency of the Commonwealth that is providing services tothe petitioner shall:
1. Take all steps necessary to enable an appropriate tribunal in theCommonwealth or another state to obtain jurisdiction over the respondent;
2. Request an appropriate tribunal to set a date, time, and place for ahearing;
3. Make a reasonable effort to obtain all relevant information, includinginformation as to income and property of the parties;
4. Within two days, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays,after receipt of a written notice in a record from an initiating, responding,or registering tribunal, send a copy of the notice to the petitioner;
5. Within two days, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays,after receipt of a written communication in a record from the respondent orthe respondent's attorney, send a copy of the communication to thepetitioner; and
6. Notify the petitioner if jurisdiction over the respondent cannot beobtained.
B. A support enforcement agency of the Commonwealth that requestsregistration of a child support order in the Commonwealth for enforcement orfor modification shall make reasonable efforts to ensure that:
1. The order to be registered is the controlling order; or
2. If two or more child support orders exist and the identity of thecontrolling order has not been determined, a request for such a determinationis made in a tribunal having jurisdiction to do so.
C. A support enforcement agency of the Commonwealth that requestsregistration and enforcement of a support order, arrears, or judgment statedin a foreign currency shall convert the amounts stated in the foreigncurrency into the equivalent amounts in U.S. dollars under the applicableofficial or market exchange rate as publicly reported.
D. A support enforcement agency of the Commonwealth shall issue or request atribunal of the Commonwealth to issue a child support order and anincome-withholding order that redirects payment of current support, arrears,and interest to a support enforcement agency of the Commonwealth if requestedto do so by a support enforcement agency of another state pursuant to 20-88.62.
E. This chapter does not create a relationship of attorney and client orother fiduciary relationship between a support enforcement agency or theattorney for the agency and the individual being assisted by the agency.
(1994, c. 673; 1997, cc. 797, 897; 2005, c. 754.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.