2006 Code of Virginia § 3.1-796.106 - Humane investigators; qualifications; appointment; term
3.1-796.106. Humane investigators; qualifications; appointment; term.
A. A circuit court may reappoint any person as a humane investigator for anylocality within its jurisdiction if the person:
1. Was appointed as a humane investigator prior to July 1, 2003; and
2. Has never been convicted of animal cruelty or neglect, any felony, or anycrime of moral turpitude according to a criminal background check, whichshall be performed by the attorney for the Commonwealth at the expense of theperson seeking the appointment.
B. A circuit court may appoint a person to fill a vacancy in thatjurisdiction created when a humane investigator who was appointed prior toJuly 1, 2003, is no longer willing or eligible to be a humane investigator,provided the person seeking appointment:
1. Has received a written recommendation from the administrative entity thatoversees animal control in the locality where the humane investigator seeksappointment;
2. Has never been convicted of animal cruelty or neglect, any felony, or anycrime of moral turpitude according to a criminal background check, whichshall be performed by the attorney for the Commonwealth at the expense of theperson seeking the appointment; and
3. Has completed a basic animal control course approved by the StateVeterinarian pursuant to 3.1-796.104:1.
C. A person residing outside the Commonwealth may be appointed as a humaneinvestigator only if he is employed by a humane society located within thelocality for which he is seeking appointment.
D. Reappointments of humane investigators shall be for terms of three years.Each humane investigator shall, during each term for which he is appointed,complete 15 hours of training in animal care and protection approved foranimal control officers. If a humane investigator is appointed to asucceeding term before or within 30 days after his current term expires, acriminal background check shall not be required. If a humane investigator'sterm expires and he is not appointed to a succeeding term before or within 30days after his current term expires, the humane investigator shall not beappointed to another term.
(1984, c. 492, 29-213.75; 1987, c. 488; 1998, c. 817; 2003, c. 858; 2004,c. 181.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.