2019 US Virgin Islands Code
Title 3 - Executive
Chapter 18 - Department of Sports, Parks and Recreation
Subchapter II - The Virgin Islands Sports Commission
§ 321. Sporting activities within the school system
(a) The Commission shall promote its recognition that it is a fundamental objective of the Virgin Islands Education System to nurture an enquiring mind in a fit body and the future emergence of sports elite will depend on the development of a structured approach to sports in the primary, secondary and university levels of education. The Virgin Islands National Sports Policy must therefore seek to ensure that:
(1) Sports are included as an integral part of the school curriculum and that a teaching manual be designed for physical education in schools, public and private;
(2) Sports are promoted as a viable career opportunity;
(3) All schools establish a structured sporting program which incorporates every student unless medically certified;
(4) Physical education is taught at all levels of the education system; and
(5) Every physical education teacher is duly certified.
(b) The Virgin Islands Sports Commission shall encourage the wider coverage and promotion of sports activities and shall undertake to advocate for:
(1) Increase in the publicity and exposure to sporting activities that highlight the endeavor of our sports persons and to stimulate public support and participation;
(2) National sport organizations and affiliates to undertake marketing and promotional activities aimed at increasing and sustaining spectator attendance at sporting activities;
(3) Educational activities to be developed to instruct the general public about the rules and skills of different sporting disciplines; and
(4) Media houses to be encouraged to record sporting events and develop structured sports programs.