2019 US Virgin Islands Code
Title 17 - Education
Chapter 13 - Special Nutrition
§ 142. Vending machine sales
(a) Each school may, with the approval of the Board of Education, sell to students beverages in vending machines during the school day so long as:
(1) Soft drinks are not sold—
(A) during the breakfast and lunch periods;
(B) at elementary schools; or
(C) contrary to the requirements of the National School Lunch Program of the federal government.
(2) Sugared, carbonated soft drinks, including mid-calorie carbonated soft drinks, are not offered for sale in middle schools;
(3) Not greater than 50% of the offerings for sale to students in high schools are sugared carbonated soft drinks; and
(4) Bottled water products are available in every school that has beverage vending.
(b) Nothing in subsection (a) of this section prohibits a school from adopting stricter policies with respect to beverage vending or from selling diet carbonated soft drinks.
(c) Snack vending in all schools must, by the 2007/2008 school year, ensure that:
(1) in elementary schools, no snack vending is available to students; and
(2) in middle and high schools, 75% of snack vending products contains not more than 200 calories per portion or snack vending package.