2019 Vermont Statutes
Title 23 - Motor Vehicles
Chapter 5 - Provisions Common To Registration And Operators' Licenses
§ 204 Surrender of license or registration

Universal Citation: 23 V.S.A. § 204

§ 204. Surrender of license or registration

(a) A person whose license to operate a motor vehicle, nondriver identification card, or motor vehicle registration has been issued in error shall surrender forthwith his or her license or registration upon demand of the Commissioner or his or her authorized inspector or agent. The demand shall be made in person or by notice in writing sent by first class mail to the last known address of the person.

(b) The Commissioner or his or her authorized inspector or agent, and all enforcement officers are authorized to take possession of any certificate of title, nondriver identification card, registration, or license issued by this or any other jurisdiction, which has been revoked, canceled, or suspended, or which is fictitious, stolen, or altered.

(c) A suspension or revocation shall be deemed to be in effect upon receipt of the notice, if made in person, or three days after the deposit of the notice in the United States mail, if made in writing and sent by first class mail to the last known address of the person.

(d) If a presuspension or prerevocation hearing is available by law, the written notice of suspension or revocation shall so state. Unless otherwise specifically provided by statute, a written request for a hearing must be received at the Department of Motor Vehicles within 15 days after the date of the notice or the right to a hearing is deemed to be waived. (Amended 1983, No. 7; 1989, No. 127 (Adj. Sess.), § 4, eff. Mar. 15, 1990; 1991, No. 164 (Adj. Sess.), § 4; 1993, No. 212 (Adj. Sess.), § 6; 1995, No. 112 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. April 22, 1996; 1999, No. 34, § 4; 2007, No. 61, § 2; 2011, No. 46, § 2.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Vermont may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.