2018 Vermont Statutes
Title 23 - Motor Vehicles
Chapter 29 - Snowmobiles, Motorboats, And Water Sports
§ 3307a Documented boat validation sticker
§ 3307a. Documented boat validation sticker
(a) Annual validation required.
(1) An owner of a vessel, as defined in subdivision 3302(11) of this title, that has been registered in another state under a federally-approved numbering system, or that has a valid document issued by the U.S. Coast Guard, the U.S. Bureau of Customs or any other federal agency, and that is used in the waters of the State for at least 30 days in any calendar year shall apply annually to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles for validation of the out-of-state or federal registration of that vessel.
(2) The Commissioner shall issue a validation sticker to any person who submits an application and pays a fee as required by subsection (b) of this section provided that the out-of-state or federal registration is valid and that the requirements of section 3322 of this title are met.
(3) A validation sticker issued under this section shall be valid through December 31 of the year in which it is issued.
(b) Application; fee. The owner of the vessel shall:
(1) submit an application to the Commissioner on the form that the Commissioner requires and be signed by every owner of the vessel; and
(2) pay to the Commissioner an application fee in the same amount as would be paid if the vessel was being registered under subsection 3305(b) of this title.
(c) Sale of vessel. Within 30 days after the sale or other transfer of a vessel that is or should be validated under this section:
(1) the transferor shall give notice of the transfer to the Commissioner on a form that the Commissioner requires; and
(2) if the transferee intends to continue to use the vessel on the waters of the State for at least 30 days in any calendar year, he or she shall submit an application for validation and pay the fee as required by subsection (b) of this section.
(d) Display of sticker. The validation sticker shall be displayed on or about the forward half of the vessel.
(e) Operation without sticker prohibited. Unless the vessel that is subject to the validation requirement of this section displays a current validation sticker:
(1) a person may not operate the vessel on the waters of the State; and
(2) the owner may not knowingly permit the vessel to be operated on the waters of the State. (Added 1987, No. 251 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 1989, No. 265 (Adj. Sess.), § 5, eff. March 1, 1991; 1997, No. 155 (Adj. Sess.), § 12.)