2017 Vermont Statutes
Title 23 - Motor Vehicles
Chapter 29 - Snowmobiles, Motorboats, And Water Sports
§ 3216 Governor's Snowmobile Council
§ 3216. Governor's Snowmobile Council
(a)(1) The Governor's Snowmobile Council is created. The members of the Council shall consist of:
(A) the President or designee of VAST;
(B) the Secretary of Natural Resources or designee;
(C) the Commissioner of Fish and Wildlife or designee;
(D) the Commissioner of Public Safety or designee;
(E) the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles or designee;
(F) the Commissioner of Forests, Parks and Recreation or designee;
(G) the President of the Vermont Sheriffs' Association or designee;
(H) the President of the Vermont Chiefs of Police Association or designee;
(I) five members appointed by the Governor to represent geographic regions of the State;
(J) one member of the House of Representatives appointed by the Speaker of the House; and
(K) one member of the Senate appointed by the Committee on Committees.
(2) The Chair shall be appointed by the Governor.
(b) The Council shall serve the following functions:
(1) to review, advise, and consent on development of the annual plan for the expenditure of funds for the Statewide Snowmobile Trail Program;
(2) to review and advise the Governor and General Assembly on matters relating to snowmobiling in Vermont, including environmental and community impacts, development of snowmobile trails, ways to encourage snowmobile traffic in those communities that seek more traffic and control the growth in municipalities that desire less traffic, adequacy of parking areas, carrying capacity of trails, State laws and rules affecting snowmobilers, and promoting snowmobiling in this State;
(3) to help coordinate efforts of VAST and State and federal agencies, private industry, and nonprofit organizations in meeting the needs of snowmobilers in Vermont;
(4) to perform any other duties or functions regarding snowmobiling assigned by the Governor; and
(5) to assure that municipal legislative bodies are given advance notice and an opportunity for input before trail or parking lot expansion takes place in the community.
(c) The members appointed by the Governor shall serve for two-year terms and all others shall serve the term of their office.
(d) The Council may designate technical work groups, composed of representatives of appropriate public agencies, private organizations, and individuals, to assist in the collection, study, and evaluation of information and to advise the Council on particular issues.
(e)(1) The appointed members of the Council and the President or designee of VAST shall be entitled to compensation at the rate provided for in 32 V.S.A. § 1010. Expenditures shall be paid from snowmobile funds appropriated to the Agency of Natural Resources for administration of the program.
(2) Legislative members shall be entitled to compensation and reimbursement of expenses as provided for by 2 V.S.A. § 406.
(3) Technical work group members shall not be entitled to compensation or reimbursement of expenses.
(f) The Council is attached to the Office of the Secretary of Natural Resources for administrative support. (Added 1983, No. 212 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; amended 1987, No. 76, § 18; 1993, No. 234 (Adj. Sess.), § 21, eff. Nov. 1, 1994; 1999, No. 20, § 9; 2001, No. 126 (Adj. Sess.), § 7, eff. June 12, 2002; 2013, No. 19, § 1, eff. May 7, 2013.)