2017 Vermont Statutes
Title 21 - Labor
Chapter 3 - Safety
§ 225 Citations

Universal Citation: 21 V.S.A. § 225

§ 225. Citations

(a) If, upon inspection or investigation the Commissioner or the Director, or the agent of either of them, finds that an employer has violated a requirement of the VOSHA Code, the Commissioner shall with reasonable promptness issue a citation to the employer and serve it on the employer by certified mail or in the same manner as a summons to the Superior Court. Each citation shall be in writing and shall describe with particularity the nature of the violation, including a reference to the provisions of the statute, standard, rule, or order alleged to have been violated. In addition, the citation shall fix a reasonable time for the abatement of the violation. By rule the Commissioner shall prescribe procedures for issuance of a notice in lieu of a citation with respect to de minimus violations which have no direct or immediate relationship to safety or health, and for hearing interested parties before a civil penalty is assessed.

(b) Each citation issued under this section, or a copy or copies thereof, shall be prominently posted, as prescribed in rules promulgated by the Commissioner, at or near each place a violation referred to in the citation occurred or existed.

(c) A citation issued under this section may be served by an agent of the Commissioner, who shall make return in the same manner as sheriffs, deputy sheriffs, or constables make after serving a summons.

(d) A citation may not be issued after six months following the inspection or investigation which reveals the violation. (Added 1971, No. 205 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 1973, No. 193 (Adj. Sess.), § 3, eff. April 9, 1974; 2009, No. 54, § 69, eff. June 1, 2009.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Vermont may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.