2015 Vermont Statutes
Title 11 - Corporations, Partnerships and Associations
Chapter 25 - Limited Liability Companies
Subchapter 8: FOREIGN LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANIES
§ 4113 Activities not constituting transacting business
§ 4113. Activities not constituting transacting business
(a) A foreign limited liability company may not transact business in this State until it obtains a certificate of authority from the Secretary of State.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, "doing business" or "transacting business" shall mean and include each act, power, or privilege exercised or enjoyed in this State by a foreign limited liability company.
(c) Among others, the following activities without more do not constitute transacting business for the purpose of determining whether a foreign limited liability company is required to obtain a certificate of authority under subsection (a) of this section:
(1) maintaining, defending, or settling any proceeding;
(2) holding meetings of its members or managers or carrying on any other activity concerning its internal affairs;
(3) maintaining bank accounts;
(4) maintaining offices or agencies for the transfer, exchange, and registration of the foreign company's own securities or maintaining trustees or depositories with respect to those securities;
(5) selling through independent contractors;
(6) soliciting or obtaining orders, whether by mail or electronic means, or through employees or agents or otherwise, if the orders require acceptance outside this State before they become contracts;
(7) creating or acquiring indebtedness, mortgages, or security interests in real or personal property;
(8) securing or collecting debts or enforcing mortgages or other security interests in property securing the debts, and holding, protecting, and maintaining property so acquired;
(9) owning real or personal property;
(10) conducting an isolated transaction that is not one in the course of repeated transactions of a like nature; or
(11) transacting business in interstate commerce. (Added 2015, No. 17, § 2.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Vermont may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.