2013 Vermont Statutes
Title 16 Education
§ 1165 Alcohol and drug abuse

16 V.S.A. § 1165 What's This?

1165. Alcohol and drug abuse

(a) The state board, in consultation with local school boards, the alcohol and drug division, the law enforcement authorities and the juvenile court system shall formulate a general policy for the education, discipline and referral for rehabilitation of students who are involved with alcohol or drug abuse on school property or at school functions.

(b) The state board shall adopt guidelines pursuant to 3 V.S.A. chapter 25 for all school districts. The guidelines shall include standards consistent with due process of law for discipline, suspension or dismissal of students and recommended procedures for education, and for referral for treatment and rehabilitation.

(c) Each school district shall adopt its own policy consistent with the state board's guidelines setting forth: recommended procedures for education; referral for treatment, counseling and rehabilitation; and standards consistent with due process of law for discipline, suspension or dismissal of students in accordance with section 1162 of this title. Nothing contained herein is intended to mandate local school districts to employ counselors for treatment or rehabilitation.

(d) [Repealed.]

(e) No municipality, school district, or the officers and employees of the school district shall be liable for civil damages in connection with the implementation of and carrying out the purposes of this section so long as they have acted in good faith and not knowingly in violation of the constitutional or civil rights of any person.

(f), (g) [Repealed.] (Added 1979, No. 62, 1, eff. April 27, 1979; amended 1983, No. 51, 4, eff. April 22, 1983; 2003, No. 107 (Adj. Sess.), 21; 2007, No. 154 (Adj. Sess.), 6.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Vermont may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.