2012 Vermont Statutes
Title 23 Motor Vehicles
Chapter 13 OPERATION OF VEHICLES
§ 1281 Additional equipment
§ 1281. Additional equipment
In addition to other equipment required by this title, any school bus as described in section 4 of this title shall be equipped as follows:
(1) A door in the rear and a door on the right side for entrance or exit purposes.
(2) At least one fire extinguisher of a type approved by the commissioner at all times in good and usable condition and easily accessible to the driver.
(3) A standard first-aid kit of a type approved by the commissioner at all times filled with necessary articles.
(4) A hot water heater at all times capable of keeping the interior at a comfortable temperature or other type of heater approved by the commissioner of motor vehicles.
(5) Adequate ventilation facilities.
(6) At least two windows of safety glass on each side to provide interior light and so secured as to afford protection against wind and rain.
(7) Seats securely fastened to the floor or sides of the interior and providing at least 13 inches of seat space for each child to be transported.
(8) In addition to the foregoing, all motor vehicles in which the original seating equipment has been modified or added to must comply with the following:
(A) All seats must be readily accessible by use of an aisle or door without interference from any other seat or seats.
(B) Minimum of 36 inches headroom for sitting position above top of undepressed cushion line of all seats shall be provided.
(C) Minimum of 12 inches shall be provided from the top of the undepressed cushion line to the floor.
(D) Seats shall be covered with fire-resistant material.
(E) Jump seats or portable seats shall not be used.
(F) Seat beside driver, if regular equipment or installed by vehicle manufacturer, may be used for pupil seating. It shall be securely fastened to body and shall be so constructed as not to interfere with pupils entering or leaving vehicle.
(G) All seats shall be at least 12 inches overall depth.
(H) If forward-facing seats are used, they shall be so placed that distance from center to center measured at top center of backs shall be not less than 26 inches.
(I) If longitudinal seats are used, only two shall be installed against sides of vehicle and distance between front edges of seat cushions shall be at least 24 inches. (Amended 1959, No. 26, eff. Aug. 1, 1959; 1961, No. 124, eff. Aug. 1, 1961; 1965, No. 199; 1975, No. 149 (Adj. Sess.), § 4; 1977, No. 102, § 4, eff. Sept. 1, 1977.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Vermont may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.