2012 Vermont Statutes
Title 23 Motor Vehicles
Chapter 13 OPERATION OF VEHICLES
§ 1252 Uses of sirens or colored lamps or both
§ 1252. Uses of sirens or colored lamps or both
(a) When satisfied as to the condition and use of the vehicle, the commissioner shall issue and may revoke, for cause, permits for sirens or colored signal lamps in the following manner:
(1) Sirens or blue or blue and white signal lamps, or a combination of these, for all law enforcement vehicles, owned or leased by a law enforcement agency or a certified law enforcement officer and if the applicant is a constable, the application shall be accompanied by a certification by the town clerk that the applicant is the duly elected or appointed constable and attesting that the town has not voted to limit the constable's authority to engage in enforcement activities under 24 V.S.A. § 1936a.
(2) Sirens and red or red and white signal lamps for all ambulances, fire apparatus, vehicles owned or leased by, or provided to volunteer firemen and voluntary rescue squad members, including a vehicle owned by a volunteer's employer when the volunteer has the written authorization of the employer to use the vehicle for emergency fire or rescue activities and motor vehicles used solely in rescue operations.
(3) No vehicle may be authorized a permit for more than one of the combinations described in subdivisions (1) and (2) of this subsection.
(4) Notwithstanding subdivisions (1) and (2) of this subsection, no motor vehicle, other than one owned by the applicant, shall be issued a permit until such time as the commissioner can adequately record the information regarding both the owner of the vehicle and the applicant for the permit.
(5) Upon application to the commissioner, the commissioner may issue a single permit for all the vehicles owned or leased by the applicant.
(b) Amber signal lamps shall be used on road maintenance vehicles, service vehicles, and wreckers and shall be used on all registered snow removal equipment when in use removing snow on public highways and the amber lamps shall be mounted so as to be visible from all sides of the motor vehicle. A vehicle equipped with an amber signal lamp may not be issued a permit for the installation and use of a siren. (Amended 1967, No. 265 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; 1969, No. 259 (Adj. Sess.), § 11; 1985, No. 85, § 7; 1987, No. 5; 1987, No. 241 (Adj. Sess.), § 5; 1991, No. 128 (Adj. Sess.), § 1 eff. April 10, 1992; 1995, No. 88 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 2001, No. 106 (Adj. Sess.), § 2.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Vermont may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.