2012 Vermont Statutes
Title 23 Motor Vehicles
§ 1102 Removal of stopped vehicles

23 V.S.A. § 1102. What's This?

§ 1102. Removal of stopped vehicles

(a) Any enforcement officer is authorized to:

(1) Move a vehicle stopped, parked or standing contrary to section 1101 of this title, or to require the driver or other person in charge to move the vehicle to a position off the paved or main-traveled part of the highway;

(2) Remove an unattended vehicle which is an obstruction to traffic or to maintenance of the highway to a garage or other place of safety;

(3) Remove any vehicle found upon a highway, as defined in 19 V.S.A. § 1, to a garage or other place of safety when:

(A) The officer is informed by a reliable source that the vehicle has been stolen or taken without the consent of its owner; or

(B) The person in charge of the vehicle is unable to provide for its removal; or

(C) The person in charge of the vehicle has been arrested under circumstances which require his or her immediate removal from control of the vehicle.

(b) Any enforcement officer causing the removal of a motor vehicle under this section shall notify the agency of transportation as to the location and date of discovery of the vehicle, date of removal of the vehicle, name of the wrecker service removing vehicle and place of storage. The officer shall record and remove from the vehicle, if possible, any information which might aid the transportation board in ascertaining the ownership of the vehicle. All information shall be forwarded to the transportation board in accordance with the provisions of chapter 61 of Title 24. (Added 1971, No. 258 (Adj. Sess.), § 3, eff. March 1, 1973; amended 1973, No. 164 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 1997, No. 144 (Adj. Sess.), § 14, eff. April 27, 1998.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Vermont may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.