2012 Vermont Statutes
Title 23 Motor Vehicles
§ 1072 Certain vehicles must stop

23 V.S.A. § 1072. What's This?

§ 1072. Certain vehicles must stop

(a) The driver of any motor vehicle carrying passengers for hire except for jitneys designed to carry not more than seven passengers including the driver, of any school bus or of any vehicle carrying explosive substances or flammable liquids as a cargo or part of a cargo, before crossing at grade any track or tracks of a railroad, shall stop within 50 feet, but not less than 15 feet, from the nearest rail of the railroad and while so stopped shall look and listen in both directions along the track for any approaching train and for signals indicating the approach of a train and may not proceed until he or she can do so safely. After stopping as required herein and upon proceeding when it is safe to do so the driver of any said vehicle shall cross so that there will be no necessity for changing gears while traversing the crossing, and the driver may not shift gears while crossing the track or tracks.

(b) No stop need be made at any crossing where an attendant, an enforcement officer or a traffic-control signal directs traffic to proceed.

(c) The driver of a Type I school bus stopping as required under subsection (a) of this section shall open the door of the bus before crossing the railroad tracks. Drivers of Type II school buses shall open the left front window.

(d) Except when required by section 1071 of this title, stopping is not required at a crossing that has been signed as "exempt" in accordance with a designation of the transportation board. (Added 1971, No. 258 (Adj. Sess.), § 3, eff. March 1, 1973; amended 1979, No. 39, § 1; 1983, No. 49, eff. April 21, 1983; 1985, No. 2; 1985, No. 268 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 1991, No. 49, § 2, eff. June 4, 1991; 1997, No. 32, § 2.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Vermont may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.