2005 Vermont Code - § 1545. — Vermont distinguished service medals

§ 1545. Vermont distinguished service medals

(a) The governor may present in the name of the state of Vermont a distinguished service medal, ribbon, lapel button, and certificate to an individual or the individual's spouse, child, parent, sibling, or grandchild if the individual is deceased, provided the individual meets all the following eligibility criteria:

(1) Served in a combat theater of operations during a war or emergency as a member of the federal active-duty military, as evidenced by service during any period of war prior to April 6, 1916; foreign service during World War I or World War II; or receipt of federal decorations showing combat-related service since January 1, 1947.

(2) Received an honorable discharge from the federal active-duty military or died before separating from the federal active-duty military or was declared missing in action by the United States Department of Defense; or is currently a member in good standing in the federal active-duty military with more than four years of service.

(3) Was a resident of Vermont at the time of entry into military service or was mobilized to federal active duty while a member of the Vermont National Guard or other reserve unit located in Vermont, regardless of the resident's home of record.

(b) The distinguished service medal shall conform to MIL-DTL-3943 and the state specification sheets; the ribbon shall conform to MIL-DTL-11589 as to quality and construction; and the lapel button shall conform to MIL-DTL-11484. The state specification sheets and original model shall be kept by the secretary of state.

(c) Application for a distinguished service medal may be made to the office of veterans' affairs. The office of veterans' affairs shall also design, cast, and procure the distinguished service medals, and maintain and verify records and documents pertaining to the medals and awards. Approved applicants may choose to receive the medal by mail or in a ceremony with the governor or a representative of the governor. (Added 1999, No. 155 (Adj. Sess.), § 12c; amended 2005, No. 100 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. March 23, 2006.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Vermont may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.