2016 Utah Code
Title 4 - Utah Agricultural Code
Chapter 25 - Estraying and Trespassing Animals
Section 12.3 - Feral swine detrimental to state's interests -- Seizure, capture, or destruction of feral swine.
4-25-12.3. Feral swine detrimental to state's interests -- Seizure, capture, or destruction of feral swine.
- (1) Feral swine are detrimental to the state's interests in agriculture and wildlife.
- (2) Feral swine may be seized, captured, or destroyed at any time, in any place, and in any manner by:
- (a) the department and its authorized agents;
- (b) the Division of Wildlife Resources and its authorized agents; or
- (c) a certified peace officer.
- (a) Notwithstanding Section 76-9-301, and subject to the requirements of this section, an individual may kill a feral swine roaming on private or public land.
- (b) An individual shall obtain the consent of the landowner before killing a feral swine on private land.
- (c) Feral swine may be killed:
- (i) year-round;
- (ii) in any number; and
- (iii) with a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow.
- (4) Feral swine may not be hunted or killed under Subsection (3)(c):
- (a) with the use of artificial light or night vision equipment, except as authorized by county ordinance; or
- (b) from or with any airborne vehicle or device, except as provided in Section 4-23-6.
- (5) An individual may not receive compensation, or attempt to receive compensation, from hunting feral swine.
- (6) An individual who kills a swine under this section is not liable to the owner for the loss of the swine, unless:
- (a) the swine is conspicuously identified by an ear tag or other form of visual identification; and
- (b) the individual who killed the swine knew the swine was identified by an ear tag or other form of usual identification.
Enacted by Chapter 105, 2015 General Session
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Utah may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.