2016 Utah Code
Title 4 - Utah Agricultural Code
Chapter 24 - Utah Livestock Brand and Anti-Theft Act
- Section 1 - Short title.
- Section 2 - Definitions.
- Section 3 - Department authorized to make and enforce rules.
- Section 4 - Livestock Brand Board created -- Composition -- Terms -- Removal -- Quorum for transaction of business -- Compensation -- Duties.
- Section 5 - Central Brand and Mark Registry -- Division of state into mark districts -- Identical or confusingly similar brands -- Publication of registered brands and marks.
- Section 6 - State may be divided into brand inspection districts -- Description filed with county clerk and sheriff.
- Section 7 - Recordation of brand or mark.
- Section 8 - Fees for recordation, transfer, renewal, and certified copies of brands and marks.
- Section 9 - Effect of recorded brand or mark -- Transfer -- Reservation of certain brands.
- Section 10 - Livestock on open range or outside enclosure to be marked or branded -- Cattle upon transfer of ownership to be marked or branded -- Exceptions.
- Section 11 - Certificate of brand inspection necessary to effectuate change of ownership -- Exception.
- Section 12 - Livestock -- Verification of ownership through brand inspection -- Issuance of certificate of brand inspection -- Brand inspector may demand evidence of ownership -- Brand inspection of livestock seized by the federal government prohibited -- Exception.
- Section 13 - Brand inspection required prior to slaughter -- Exceptions.
- Section 14 - Transportation by air or rail -- Brand inspection required -- Application for brand inspection -- Time and place of inspection.
- Section 15 - Movement across state line -- Brand inspection required -- Exception -- Application for brand inspection -- Time and place of inspection.
- Section 16.3 - Livestock emergency.
- Section 17 - Transportation of sheep, cattle, domesticated elk, horses, or mules -- Brand certificate or other evidence of ownership required -- Transit permit -- Contents.
- Section 18 - Hides and pelts -- Bill of sale to accompany purchase -- Purchaser to maintain records -- Hides and records examination and inspection.
- Section 19 - Livestock markets -- Records to be maintained -- Retention of records -- Schedule of fees and charges to be posted.
- Section 20 - Livestock sold at market to be brand inspected -- Proceeds of sale may be withheld -- Distribution of withheld proceeds -- Effect of receipt of proceeds by department -- Deposit of proceeds -- Use of proceeds if ownership not established.
- Section 21 - Brand inspection fees.
- Section 22 - Travel permit in lieu of brand inspection certificate -- Fees -- Permit to accompany animal.
- Section 23 - Lifetime permit in lieu of brand inspection certificate -- Fees -- Permit to accompany animal -- Transfer.
- Section 24 - Utah Livestock Brand and Anti-Theft Account created -- Deposit of fees -- Purpose of expenditures.
- Section 25 - Unlawful acts specified -- Allegation concerning evidence of ownership relative to hides.
- Section 26 - Use of vehicle to transport stolen livestock prohibited -- Vehicle subject to seizure and sale -- Procedure for sale -- Defense.
- Section 28 - Enforcement -- Brand inspector's powers delineated.
- Section 29 - Commissioner authorized to cooperate with local governments, other states, or federal government in enforcement.
- Section 30 - Commission to appoint supervisor for brand inspection -- Appointment subject to approval -- Salary.
- Section 31 - Websites promoting the sale of livestock.
- Section 32 - Penalties.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Utah may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.